Senior Software Engineer
Elastic is a search company built on a free and open heritage. Anyone can use Elastic products and solutions to get started quickly and frictionlessly. Elastic offers three solutions for enterprise search, observability, and security, built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Cisco, eBay, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to pow...Read more
Elastic is a search company built on a free and open heritage. Anyone can use Elastic products and solutions to get started quickly and frictionlessly. Elastic offers three solutions for enterprise search, observability, and security, built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Cisco, eBay, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe and is publicly traded on the NYSE under the symbol ESTC. Learn more at elastic.co.
The Observability team is in charge of developing solutions that focus on application developers and engineers that run infrastructure and services supporting these applications. Elasticsearch is an efficient datastore for logs, metrics, and application traces, supporting the three pillars of observability. The Observability team builds and maintains solutions that make getting insights from this data turnkey and efficient, such as our APM, Metrics, and Logs solutions. When developing these solutions, we think about the problem end-to-end: how do we automatically collect data from common data sources, how do we store it efficiently in Elasticsearch, how do we present this information to the user, what actions do we take on the insights from the data? All of these aspects are important in bringing a turnkey solution to the market.
As a Software Engineer in the Observability Engineering Productivity team you will work alongside talented and passionate engineers, product managers and teams. Our team’s mission is to increase overall productivity of the development teams. We identify problems within engineering processes and create innovative tooling and automation to reduce the time needed for the teams to deliver high-quality features. We do that by introducing productivity metrics, creating tools, building dev environments, generating test data, setting up test automation and improving CI/CD pipelines.
The team is diverse and distributed across the world, and collaborates on a daily basis over GitHub, Zoom, and Slack. Thus, the ability to work within a distributed team is critical.
What you will be doing:
- Design and build tools and automation to help development teams be more productive
- Evangelize and mentor others on engineering and quality best practices
- Build and maintain dev and test environments
- Set up and improve CI/CD pipelines
- Design and implement test frameworks and infrastructure (functional, performance, exploratory)
- Proactively identify the bottlenecks in tooling and processes
- Work alongside Development and Infrastructure teams and Product Managers
What you bring along:
- You have 5+ years of backend development work
- A deep understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle and CI/CD/CT. Technologies: Jenkins, GitHub, build systems, Docker, Kubernetes
- A proven understanding in System Architecture and Design
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to work with a distributed team of Elasticians
- You are able to reason about sophisticated software architectures, understanding the trade-offs, and the dynamics between their components
- Experience with Open Source
- Experience with Elastic or other data monitoring tools
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is committed to diversity as well as inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to the principles of affirmative action. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. If you require any reasonable accessibility support, please complete our Candidate Accessibility Request Form.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.